Friday 1 April 2011

Using the resources around you

An idea has been floating around in my head for a few weeks now and so I acted on it. A murder mystery. For some reason I couldn't help myself. So the hard work has begun. Rough outline of the plotline is done and I have my list of characters names. I am now working on the descriptions and then it is a case of working out the scenes and chapters. I love doing this bit. Not that I don't love the writing of the book but I feel like I have started when I am doing this bit. It is this bit that feels like the hardest bit for me; although it is all hard. With this book I feel really lucky however. I work for the NHS and come into daily contact with nurses and doctors and although I may get funny looks from them when asking questions I know that it is for a good cause. I don't try and hide the fact that I am working on a new novel. I tell them what I am up to; I alsotel them the questions are in relation to me working out the finer details of the novel. They are great when they know the reason for what could otherwise seem like the most peculiar questions ever. But the doctors and nurses are a great source for research. If I want to use a particular method for dealing with the murder victim at least I will know if it is feasible or not. For this particular research I honestly don't know what I would have done without the closest resource I have other than the internet.

2 comments: